Tuesday, March 22, 2011

AS THE WORLD TURNS

I don't know if the daily soap opera "As The World Turns" is still running on television.  My mother heard (on radio) then watched (on television) that program while she did the ironing and rocked her babies.  But there is a real life world that turns and it turns every day, every hour of the day and every minute of every hour of every day.  I can see this world turn from my study window, from my living room windows, from long walks through the community, from the newspaper and radio and television, from hospital visits and conversations with friends and strangers.  As the world turns on its daily appointed rounds it exposes to us the violence, the sorrows, the greeds, failures and grinding pains of daily life.  The daily turning of the world in which we live, the ambitions, the emptiness which pervades so many lives, is shown to us as clearly as if we were watching it in 3-D.

But 3-D of course is an illusion, it enables us to see what isn't there.  So, I say, off with the 3-D glasses!  Only then can we see the beauty of the trees along those walks, parents loving their children, people doing impossible things and overcoming improbable odds.  In looking at life as it turns we know the blind "see," the deaf "hear" and the beauty of things that so boggles our minds we want to break out in some Te Deum of praise.   Just now the world is turning and so can we.  So, excuse me now, I've got to go sing a duet with Luciano Pavarotti from the DVD "Rigoletto."  He needs me to sing the bass part.  Besides that, before the world turns too far today, I'll go say "Good Morning" to the priest across the way who lives with an oxygen tank. So many blessings, so little time to be blessed, how fast the world turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment